Monday, May 10, 2010

Do you question technology?????

Ask yourself a question; is there one day that you can go without using any sort of technology the whole day? Can you spend one day without checking your voicemails, facebook account, text messaging, or email someone? I know you might be thinking to yourself “yes I can totally do that.” But realistically I and most people cannot go an hour without checking any of those things because they are afraid they might miss something important. Today’s world is a world that is full of multi takers, people that are always on the go, fast food, simple solutions, and people who want short cuts. Teachers have found that one way to engage their students to involve some sort of technology into their lesson plans. But others feel that technology has had a negative effect of making students unable to basic skills such as writing an essay. Although technology can be very helpful to a student some also believe that there is a consent distraction that causes students to write paragraph by paragraph. As a teacher and as a student I can see both sides of the spectrum. I do find myself getting distracted by the different things technology has to offer me, but at the same time I feel that I and other students are feeling overwhelmed with the amount of responsibility and work that is expected out of us. Often time students need to know a lot of information and they will use spark notes or pink monkey so that can know that information and still be able to other homework or other activities. So the question that I find myself asking myself is that are children being pulled by the consent distraction that technology has to offer us and is it affecting our children from learning/grasping new concepts and ideas being taught in the classroom? Or has technology created a way out for a student that helps them conquer new concepts and still be able to live the life of a teenager?

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great question. And it is ironic that you asked it now, because I just experienced being cut off from technology for a couple days. I was just stranded at a friends house (long story :)) with no internet, cable and no cell phone service. And although I was in the company of a good friend, we still had an interesting time entertaining ourselves. I was fixated on finding a way to contact other people and check my email to see if I had missed anything. Upon arriving home today, I realized that I hadn't missed anything but still had an uneasy, anxious feeling about being disconnected for the past couple days. However, there are times where I will gladly give up my phone and laptop... I wish those times were more often.

    ReplyDelete